Friday, July 6, 2007

Responses to God Post



So, we received one response about the God job description posting we uploaded to Craigslist. A nice young woman sent me a deceptively simple email reading:"bless you".

Bless you? An ambiguous phrase just hanging there, isn't it? I could make several readings from those two simple words.

For instance, maybe she agreed that we need to hire a new God. The present entity holding the position is obviously sleeping on the job. What has he done lately? What miracles? What divine interventions? What prophets has he recruited? He's a Deity whose lost interest in his job. But, then, who wouldn't after a dozen or so millennia? Maybe he just needs to retire and go golfing for a few centuries?

So...in this light...the woman who blessed me via email may have been doing so because she agrees with my assessment of our present God's lackluster job performance.

Or, on the other hand, maybe she thinks I'm a lost soul whose cyder blasphemy will surely have me damned to the lowest circle of hell. Maybe her "bless you" was an attempt to throw me a spiritual life preserver, as if those two simple world would awaken in me some kind of dormant desire to be closer to God?

To which I can only respond: save your blessings.

We have limited resources in this world. There's a limited supply of oil, animal crackers, and blessings. Yes, blessings are a limited resource. We must preserve our blessings. Use them carefully. Otherwise, one day you'll reach down into that seemingly endless well of blessings and find nothing but a few hallelujahs left.

Just a warning to promote spiritual sustainability.




No comments: